Most of the new moms these days are eager to put their maternity clothes back in the wardrobe. They want to get rid of their maternity clothes as soon as possible post-delivery. Are you one of those? Well, you should be glad that getting your old shape back is no longer a secret these days. It’s just about eating healthy and doing some physical activity. Oh yes, and not to forget a lot of patience. All these in place and you are bound to get your shape back. You should also remember the fact that a healthy body means a lifetime of healthy and good health. Hence, every effort you put in will be worth it.
Things that you should keep in mind are:
- Take care of your eating habits. What you were eating during pregnancy was very different because at that time you had another life inside you. Your appetite was designed to feed two people. A proper and healthy nutrition is a must post your pregnancy. A couple of wise decisions and choices and you are not far from achieving your target of weight loss.
- You need to focus more on whole grains and vegetables. Fruits are also a must. Whole grains, vegetables and fruits not only help provide you with the required nutrition but also keep you full so that you avoid eating much.
- You need to make sure about the quantity of food you eat.
- Small and frequent meals are advisable.
- You are advised not to skip your meal at any point of time.
- Even though you will be tempted with junk food, try to resist as much as you can.
- Stick to a healthy diet and make sure you follow it religiously.
- You should also make sure to eat only when you feel hungry. Do not ever eat only because you feel you should eat. If you’re feeling anxious, distract yourself but do not eat.
- Try and include as much physical activity in your everyday routine as possible. In the initial days post pregnancy, women were told to wait for at least six weeks before they start exercising. However, it is not the case today. Women today start exercising immediately after delivery and long to get back into shape so that they can slip into their favorite jeans back. There is no more waiting now.
Though there are a few precautions that one must take care of. If you have exercised during your pregnancy and had a vaginal delivery which was uncomplicated, it is advisable to start with a few light and easy going exercises for the initial few days post-delivery. In case, you had a complicated delivery, you should talk to your doctor before starting with their exercise regimen. Only if the doctor agrees, you can move ahead and start with your exercise.
Only after you have been given a go ahead from your consultant can you then:
- Become comfortable. This means that when you are breast feeding your baby immediately before you head out to exercise, make sure that you are wearing clothes that are comfortable.
- Start step by step. You should ideally begin with aerobics which are gentle and then proceed to cycling and swimming. Start with short intervals and then gradually increase the duration of your workouts.
- Focus more on your abs. It takes a lot of time and effort to lose that extra abdominal fat. A change in your diet and exercise is a must. Apart from this, abdominal crunches as well as other exercises which are related to abs will also help tone your muscles o a great extent.
- If in case you feel that you are unable to devote time to your work out, make sure that you involve your baby in it. As in, take your baby out for a stroll. You can also lay your baby next to you while stretching. Start taking your baby for walks in the park. Move out of the house and be surrounded by greenery. It helps you to reduce stress as well. You can also do exercises such as lifting your baby on your back and walking.
- If there are more new born moms whom you know of, invite them over to your place and start exercising together. Not only will you get the energy to work out but will also do it more willingly and happily.
- Please ensure that you drink sufficient water before and after you start with your rigorous work out. In case your abdomen or any part of your body pains, stop exercising immediately. These are clear signs that you are exerting yourself and overdoing it.
- Do not dream too big but in fact set goals for yourself which are realistic and can be achievable. There are women who want to lose weight as soon as possible; however this is not possible, it is a process which definitely takes a lot of time. The fat that is stored during your pregnancy does not get away too easily. You really need to work out to get over it. If you are following a proper diet chart and exercising regularly, you are sure to lose half a kilogram per week. Most women become impatient and want to shed those flabs as soon as possible. However, they should realize the fact that it takes a minimum of six months for you to get back into shape, the shape that you were in before pregnancy.
- Lastly it is really essential to get sleep. You need to sleep for at least eight hours a day. Make sure you sleep when your baby sleeps; this is the best way to catch up on your sleep. Women who are unable to sleep for eight hours are bound to get more pregnancy weight those other women who sleep adequately.
You really need to be gentle with yourself and do not overdo anything. Take pride in your body and be glad to flaunt it. After all, it is a very lovely feeling to be a mother.